Sunday, March 22, 2015

Search and Build Springtime Sensory Bin



 Spring is FINALLY in the air!  To help get us in the spirit I made up a Spring Sensory Bin using some decorative grass, and various other things to help build some indoor spring!

Here's everything we used:

Decorative grass (not shown below)
Pipe cleaners
Foam
Googly eyes
Pom poms
Ribbon
Black beans (not shown below)
Empty soap container (not shown below)


My daughter loves a hunt so I thought how about a mini hunt in a bin?!  I added flower 'parts' to the bin by using green pipe cleaners to act as the flower stem and cut out foam in the shape of flowers.  I also added a bunny also cut from foam and things like googly eyes and pom poms so that my daughter could 'put together' her bunny.

I added a few pieces and then would add some grass and continued layering.



Beginning her 'hunt!'

Finding pieces!


Building the flower...

Building the bunny....

After our flowers were all put together we used an old soap container for our vase and added our flowers and bunny to it. I also had some black beans from our Halloween Garden and used the beans as 'soil' for our flowers. This part is completely optional and if interested in doing this you do not have to put in a 'vase' at all but just glue your flowers and bunny to construction paper. 
Since our soap container had a bit of glue on the front from the label we added our bunny to the front of the vase and it stuck perfectly!


So now we have a bit of spring indoors!


My daughter LOVED the decorative grass and I was feeling brave this day and let her have some fun throwing the grass around.  Believe it or not it was a super easy clean up!  She even helped, happily!  I would not recommend letting your child do this with the grass if you have pets as I'm sure ingesting this would be bad for them. 

Sorry for the blurry shots, so much moving and throwing!


Happy Spring!



14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I love her reaction at the end. I love that you made the objects that she found into a workable project too. You are one smart momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Kim!! She had fun putting the flower and bunny together but I have to say the grass was a big hit!

      Delete
  2. Ah, that looks fun, and your daughter clearly loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really did have fun with it, thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. I love this. Looks like so much fun and she is learning. We love upcycling things so this is our speed. Saw you on the Blog Hop! #laceyslegacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lacey - She really enjoyed finding the pieces and building the flower and bunny. Throwing the grass was thrilling for her!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Ha ha! I love the ending! Really like the idea of finding the project this would be so much fun. Did you have fun cleaning up that mess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved throwing that grass ALL over! But ya know what, it was an easy clean up and she was very good at helping clean it up!

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! Thanks for linking to the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop! We hope you join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea - sensory bin into craft project! Then clean up before naps :) Thanks for sharing the fun with us at Snickerdoodle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My daughter had fun with both searching and then building!! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Good Tips Tuesday. You will be featured this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, glad you like it! We had a lot of fun with it! Appreciate the feature!

      Delete